Followers

Monday, October 18, 2010

I am now one of you...

I recently got an iPhone 4 after living with a refurbished and almost 1st gen 3G iPhone. While messing around with my new iPhone 4, I was delighted to discover that Yahoo Messenger on iPhone 4 is enabled for cam. I tested it and sure enough, cam feed works on iPhone.

While I was waiting with my younger daughter at her school to drop her off, my wife initiated a vid call with me (she got an iPhone 4 too). I was amused by that and answered it.

You see, vid calls are smoothest when both ends are in wi-fi mode and we both weren't. That meant we had to sign slowly in order to understand clearly. I enabled microphone so I could speak to my wife directly. Gave my iPhone to my daughter who jabbered on with her for a bit. Cute as a bug and other moms thought so too. LOL

Then it was time for her to go in and I waved good bye to her. Then I started talking to my wife and she was amused by how I just kept talking to her while walking back to my car.

She noticed that I was back in my car, but didn't notice that I had started my car and had started driving. She noticed only when I pointed out how the shadows of the trees kept falling across my face.

That's when I had an epiphany. I am doing something that most of you do on a regular basis while driving...and I'm doing something for the first time in my life. EVER.

What is it that you take for granted? Talking to someone and having someone respond back to you. Oh, no worries...I was driving at speed limit on a 4 lane route divided by a raised concrete barrier with no car in sight.

(In monotone zombie voice) I...am...now...one...of...you...

4 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

DCHY! That is so cool!!!!! I can't imagine how fabulous that technology is for you.

Now, I'm an ER nurse!
HANG UP THE PHONE AND DRIVE!
Sheesh!

DCHY said...

Garden of Egan - trust me, this will not be a recurring event. ;)

You'd be shocked by how insane some people are. I've seen people drive with webcam on. Nuts!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

That is SOOOOOOOO cool!!! I'm so happy for you!

DCHY said...

Shelle - I know. Just struck me and I thought this would be a great post. :)